What is Coaching?
Coaching is a partnership that helps clients produce fulfilling results in their personal and professional lives. The coach and client work together to develop a program that fits the client’s needs, values and visions while helping them overcome barriers that prevent them from reaching their goals.
A Coach is someone who helps you become self motivated, provides unconditional support, identifies your strengths and helps you build upon them. You are assisted to find strategies to deal with your unique challenges and guided to discover creative solutions to achieve the results you want. Coaches may specialise in a particular context like health, wellness, business, executive, relationships or may include several contexts and refer to themselves as a Life Coach.
The coaching process provides people with new perspectives and resourceful attitudes which enable them to deal more effectively with challenges. Coaching enhances creative thinking, decisiveness and confidence in the areas of importance. It promotes effectiveness and productivity while enabling people to elicit values driven goals and compelling strategies for their achievement. Coaches assist individuals and groups to improve performance, interpersonal skills and workplace satisfaction. Coaching cultivates the kind of self motivation that generates success momentum. It´s a process that mines potential and self esteem, builds character and celebrates progress.
- Make sure your prospective Coach is someone you feel comfortable with and can relate to.
- Ensure that the Coach is familiar with working in the context that you would like to focus on.
- Does the way in which the Coach works fit with you? For example; are you required to commit to a coaching program (and contract) or is the relationship more casual?
- Are a set amount of sessions required?
- Does the Coach require the sessions to follow a certain frequency or is this based more on your needs?
- What is their training and experience and speciality?
- What is their unique value add?
- Do they have references / testimonials?
Search IACTM’s Directory of Accredited Coaches